It is essential for all healthcare professionals to develop the capacity for reflection and self-evaluation of their professional and personal experiences and consider how this impacts themselves and others.
Consider the module you have just completed and reflect on the following questions to assist with your ongoing development:
- What key points have you learnt from the activities in this module that will help you in providing care for people with life-limiting illnesses and their families?
- What specific strategies do you plan to incorporate as a graduate healthcare professional?
- Do you see any difficulties using what you’ve learnt here as part of your practice as a healthcare professional? If so, what strategies can you use to address these difficulties?
CONGRATULATIONS. You have now completed Module 1 of PCC4U, you should now be able to:
- Analyse the impact that historical trends have on community perceptions about dying, death and bereavement in contemporary society
- Recognise how your personal values and beliefs about dying and death affect your responses and interactions with people with life-limiting illnesses and their families.
- Describe the core principles of palliative care
- Explore factors which inform decisions about who would benefit from palliative care and when palliative care is needed.