It is essential for all healthcare professionals to develop the capacity for reflection and self-evaluation of their professional and personal experiences, and to consider how this can impact on themselves and others.
Consider the module you have just completed and reflect on the following questions to assist with your ongoing development:
- What key points have you learnt from the activities in this module that will help you in providing care for people with life-limiting illnesses and their families?
- What specific strategies do you plan to incorporate as a graduate healthcare professional?
- Do you see any difficulties using what you have learnt here as part of your practice as a healthcare professional? If so, what strategies would you use to address these difficulties?
CONGRATULATIONS. You have now completed Module 2 of PCC4U; you should now be able to:
- Identify sources of psychological, social and spiritual support for people affected by life-limiting illness
- Recognise how your own values and beliefs about dying and death affect your responses and interactions with people affected by life-limiting illness
- Identify resources that can support your communication with a person in your care
- Demonstrate the principles of effective communication when interacting with people affected by life-limiting illness
- Explore the role of self-care for healthcare professionals who are supporting people affected by life-limiting illness.